Thursday, February 5, 2009

The year of Ann

I have begun to solve the mysteries of the Radnor 215 book I found in the dusty trailer. I discovered the author's name and time period from a letter she received from her father and stapled into the book.


"2/2/86

Dear Ann,
In typical male manner, I eschew emotional scenes or commentary; but I'll never forget the scene in front of the library. Your hurt was palpable. I'm sure the word "rejection" crossed your mind. I would argue differently. For what it's worth, when Kay hung up in tears and related to us that you were lonely and wished to return, we decided to get you back here.
Maybe 1986 will be the year of Ann!
You're overdue.
Love Dad"

tomorrow, hannibal
i'm drinking this beer, i'm finding some peace
children setting fires
I pick up a penny on the stairs. Things are quiet.
My brother sent me a bracelet. I read your
letter to me. There is your letter to me.
I never work too hard. It feels a bit weird to be thanked for the letter.

I have stapled my father's letter into Notebook so that
I will have to accept it."

I don't know if Ann is still alive, and if so, she is in her 40's by now. I really don't want to think of her that way. Regardless, she left behind a vast verbal enigma. Her command of language to convey the simple, yet expansive, elements of her life are breathtaking. But it is so strange to me to hear her voice from the past, and to read into her most personal thoughts and feelings. If she is still out there, I would love to meet her.

I'll probably post more of her writings that I find particularly moving.



No comments:

Post a Comment